Thoughts on swimming, training and staying afloat in rough waters and calm seas.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Short Month Challenge: 28 posts in 28 days...



I haven't posted in over two years; which is really sad, considering that in those years a whole lot has happened. However, it's never too late to start over. 

For the month of February, I'm going to try this blogging thing again. With a challenge to write 28 posts in 28 days. If, at the end of the challenge, it seems like it's been worthwhile, you may be stuck with my meanderings. I guess we'll just have to see what the month brings. To start, a poem I wrote this morning. Poetry is not my strong suit. I have never quite understood the rules and usually great poetry, like great jazz, comes from those who know the rules well enough to dismantle them. However, sometimes you just have to be brave. 


If you're coming along on this journey, let me know! Comment, complain, commend--whatever suits your fancy and floats your boat. 

xo
Em



Poem for the first day of February, 2017

The news is dark, day-old burnt coffee bitter
And twitter is no escape
Just debates, about mad kings and old hates
Which emerge perennial and unbidden
From underground and hidden
Like the crocus I search for,
Any sign of spring, any sign that things
Might not be cold forever
That our leaders might get clever
That good too can burst through
That just because it cuts me
Doesn’t mean I have to cut you
If we’re all going to freeze, might as well huddle together
Masses pressed in to one another
Can’t be knocked down
Hold each other, love your brother
Eyes up from your phone, look around we’re not alone
Reach out, speak loud, be bold, love proud
Raise your song with the crowd
Trample hate. Do not be cowed

No comments:

Post a Comment